Biannual Book Review

Hey guys! It has been a hot minute. I don't know about y'all but 2020 has been pretty difficult for me. One thing that has helped me is to read! It's so nice to take a break from this world or gain a different perspective. I have read quite a bit so I am going to lump these into three categories: Comfort, Interesting, and Not My Fav. (Since there are a lot, I won't comment on each book.)

Let's get started!


Comfort

  • Murder on Orient Express by Agatha Christie
    • My first Agatha Christie book. Woohoo!
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
  • Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
    • Holy Crap! Sanderson can build these ultra-realistic fantasy worlds and wrap you in. This series is THICK so be prepared (like 1,000 + pages). But I really recommend them. 
  • Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
    • Yep, I reread Harry Potter. This was actually my first reread of the series! Of course I loved it. I particularly enjoyed books 4-7 this time.  
  • Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
  • Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling 
  • Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
  • Order of Phoenix J.K. Rowling
  • Half Blood Prince J.K. Rowling
  • Trouble is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly
    • Honestly, this isn't the most fancy literature, but I really enjoyed it. 
  • Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson
    • I LOVE this series so much!!! This was my 3rd time reading Truly Devious, 2nd time reading the Vanishing Stair, and 1st time on The Hand on the Wall. I own the physical copies of this series. That's how much I love them
  • The Vanishing Stair by Maureen Johnson
  • The Hand on the Wall by Maureen Johnson
  • The Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
    • I sped through the Charlotte Holmes series so quickly! I loved the character development. It isn't often that we see a toxic, codependent YA romance evolve into a healthy, one. This was a great Sherlock spin off .
  • The Girl Who Reads on the Metro by Christine Feret-Fleury
    • I have NO idea how I found this little book, but it was amazing. Juliette inspired me to take the reins on my life and be brave. To heck with all the maybes!
  • The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro
  • The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavarallo
  • A Question of Holmes by Brittany Cavallaro
  • Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
    • Oh man, the Percy Jackson series. One of the hallmarks of my childhood. I needed an easy, reliable series, and this went above and beyond. I had forgotten how hilarious and relatable Percy is. Such a great series.
  • Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
  • Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
  • Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
  • The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
  • The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ
    • I love this scripture so much. I think this was my 5 or 6 reread. It brings me so much peace. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I am proud to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
  • Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus
  • Wild Card by Marie Lu
    • This book is cheesy and heavily inspired by Ready Player One. AND I still loved it. I wasn't a huge fan of Emika, but I'm a sucker for all things Japan.
  • City of Ghosts by V.E. Schwab
    • I figured out a couple chapters in that this was a middle school book, but it was an enjoyable read. I want to visit Edinburgh now.

Interesting

  • Fences by August Wilson
    • I read this play for English, and it was so good. I think it's important to read pieces from other people's perspectives to help you understand their struggles. Through this play, I understand the African American community more.
  • Scythe by Neal Shusterman
    • WHOA! This book was a trip. I felt very similar while reading Fahrenheit 451. It was interesting to be in this book's world for a while.
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    • Man, this book was wild. Bradbury was pretty spot on for how we would become dependent on electronics. Really made me evaluate how much time I spend on my phone. This was the first Classic I read on my own!
  • How to Read Literature like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster
    • Okay, call me a nerd, but I enjoyed reading this book for English. It shifted my view of reading Classic books COMPLETELY. I understand a lot more now, and Foster does an excellent job of entertaining while teaching.
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    • This was another book I had to read for English. It brought a lot of questions and considerations to my mind on human nature.
  • Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
    • Another trippy book. I read this right before we started quarantine. It FREAKED me out. It was crazy to be reading about a global pandemic while it was happening in real life. The writing is beautiful, and I really recommend it. Though you may want to wait till after quarantine ends lol.
  • Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
    • Even though this was a book about aging and dying, I liked reading it and I am grateful to be more knowledgeable about it.
  • How to Do Nothing by Jenny Odell
    • And yet, another book that changed my perspective. This was a collection of stories and advice on how to be more mindful of your time, energy, and environment. It wasn't a traditional self-help book, but I loved it. I think I will purchase it.

Not My Fav

  • Othello by Shakespeare
    • I'm glad I read this, but I probably won't read it again. Othello annoyed me. If he would have just TALKED to Desdemona, things would have been different.
  • The Naturals by Jennier Lynn Barnes
  • The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
    • I wasn't able to get too far into this books because of the language. Just didn't connect to the plot or characters either.
  • The League of Delphi by Chris Everheart
  • War Cross by Marie Lu 


Alright! I will update y'all in December with the second half of this year's reading. Don't worry. You'll hear more from me before then.

Stay Tuned!

Addi <3







No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Thrift

    Thrift advice from an expert        I love to thrift. Mostly clothes, but I've been known to find a mean home decor item. I star...