How to Thrift

   

Thrift advice from an expert

       I love to thrift. Mostly clothes, but I've been known to find a mean home decor item. I started thrifting because as a little girl I didn't feel confident in clothes from Justice or Hollister (where everybody else in elementary and middle school shopped). Jeans and shirts from Goodwill (my local thrift spot) were more comfortable for me. So I've shopped there ever since! 

       I would say that 80% of my closet is thrifted. I love searching for my next cute piece. My friends wonder how I find the pieces I do (humble brag). So, here I am! I am sharing some tips on how to thrift like an expert.



5 Tips for the Best Thrift

  1. Have some ideas on what you want
    • I find that going in with a few ideas helps me to not get overwhelmed. Sometimes, I'll be looking for Levi's or a black graphic tee. Having a general idea is good.
  2. Don't expect to find replicas from Pinterest
    • That being said, expecting a very specific item in mind will lead to disappointment. I have found myself going into Goodwill expecting Urban Outfitters. To avoid being discouraged, I recommend not having a SUPER specific piece in mind. Just observe what's already there.
  3. Be ready to SEARCH
    • People assume that I have a super power that makes me find good pieces. The truth is that I just spend a lot of time searching the store. You have to put some effort into looking through the racks and evaluating pieces in order to find clothes you love. It's part of the fun! It's like a treasure hunt!
  4. Drift from section to section
    • If you are in the shirt section and you just aren't feeling it, go unto the jeans. Or vice versa. I've found that traversing through the sections is more fun AND you find more. Don't pressure yourself into finding something specific (back to Tip #2).
  5. Don't be discouraged
    • Some days, you just don't find anything. I've been to several Goodwill's within a day and not find anything. It's just like that sometimes. But don't give up! I honestly think that thrifting is a bit of skill so you may need practice before you can score big. Or maybe it's just luck, and I'm being dramatic. Either way, you shouldn't give up!

Okay! I hope that some or all of these tips helped you in some way to achieve your best thrift. You got this!

-Addi



1 comment:

  1. You are the best thrifter! Thanks for the helpful tips!!

    ReplyDelete

How to Thrift

    Thrift advice from an expert        I love to thrift. Mostly clothes, but I've been known to find a mean home decor item. I star...